Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I had a response to yesterday's post from a friend in Korea, saying I had been threatening to leave Korea for so long it was "akin to the boy who cried wolf" but he agreed if I am no longer happy here, it's time to move on.

The excitement has been missing from my relationship with South Korea for some time. We've reached the stage where we're simply tolerating each other "for the sake of the kids" and I'm constantly pointing out "his" faults. (I view most countries, like ships and waterways, as female, but I definitely view Korea as an old, set-in-his ways, misogynist male.) He, in turn, ignores me, and I'm not good at being ignored.

Meanwhile, in the wings, waits a richer, older, more experienced Kingdom. Offering excitement and adventure and really wild things.

So, it's time to leave South Korea. I hope we'll remain friends as he has been better to me than he's been bad. I'll visit, to see the kids and check how he is doing, but he's not been doing too well of late and I don't want him dragging me down any longer. I also hope to stop in and see his younger brother, North Korea, but the younger brother is capricious and may not allow that. We'll see how the relationship evolves - these things take time.

But, it's time to move on. To stop expecting Korea to change to suit me, to say thanks for the memories and always treasure them, and to look to my own future. The kids are old enough to look after themselves now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment