Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2019

melbourne

I worked today

I enjoyed working

but I had to get home afterward

in Melbourne, Australia, a city that should be safe, but a city where we have buried too many women recently who were not safe here

raped, bludgeoned, murdered

when I was a kid at high school, I learned not to put my hands in my pockets, because I needed them to protect myself from kids who wanted to bully me

when I sailed the Indian Ocean, and hitchhiked around Kenya, I learned to open my Swiss Army Knife and have every sharp object available to attack an attacker

I should not be fearing for my life getting home in Australia, but I am

I, and I have to say I am not a wimp, am afraid to take public transport in Melbourne, am afraid to wait for a bus alone, am afraid to be a woman here

because?

Pick an answer ...

2 comments:

  1. In Canada it would be because you are an Indigenous woman or BIPOC as they say in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are too many dark and deep holes but you never know what is waiting around the corner. Shine on sister xx

    ReplyDelete