Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Supercut



in my head
i play a supercut of us
the magic we gave off
all the love we had and lost 
and in my head
the visions never stop
these ribbons wrap me up
but when i reach for you
there's just a supercut
Lorde, Supercut from Melodrama 


Grief colours everything.

The most mundane activities are imbued with meaning - catching a tram, shopping, cooking (I haven't really managed cooking for the past month, it was something we did together and for friends. I'm concentrating on feeding myself regularly instead).

More important matters than bare survival have greater meaning.

Music was a large part of our time together.

My love would quiz me on who songs were by, but his background was Brit boy bands so I seldom knew.

I did recognise Spandau Ballet but that was from my misspent late teens as a roadie for touring cover bands in Aotearoa.

I tried to expand his musical knowledge with a Kiwi flavour, concentrating on meaningful lyrics, harmonies and the good old "Maori strum."

I introduced him to Dave Dobbyn (Welcome Home), the Mutton Birds (Dominion Road), and the Runga gals.

He already knew Crowded House and Better Be Home Soon, and we were talking about him going home to recover with his family.

The brevity of our time together makes everything a Supercut, although not in the literal sense.

There's no need to pick the best clips of our time together - that was our time together.


'cause in my head I do everything right
when you call I'll forgive and not fight
because ours are the moments I play in the dark
we were wild and flouorescent
come home to my heart

I took him to Breakup Karaoke at the premiere for The Breaker Upperers 

I was relying on my dear friend Zach to be there, but he forgot, so it was only me.

"Lovely" (his pet name for me when it wasn't "helpie horsie") got up to sing first, because somebody has to.

I came back to him telling me my voice was awful, but he loved my spirit. I could live with that.

i'm someone you maybe might love
i'll be your quiet afternoon crush
be your violent overnight rush
make you crazy over my touch


I also introduced him to Lorde.

I miss him so very, very much




No comments:

Post a Comment